Saturday, July 11, 2009

"On my International Harvester"


Yes, that is an International Harvester. For those of you who might know what this means (I didn't, but have since been educated) it is an International 354 to be exact. The 35 represents the horse power, and the 4 is for 4 cylinder. As you can see Shawn is proudly sitting on it because we now own it. He has been shopping around for a tractor for a while now, and happen to come across this one recently. It is 1971 International Harvester that has only been used for about 1700 hours, or an average of 40 hours a year. The farmer who owned was the second owner, and he kept it in immaculate shape. He never even used any implements with it in the 30+ years he owned it.

So, Shawn is chomping at the bit to get some implements and start doing various projects. It drives pretty smoothly (yes I took it for a drive) and the clutch is pretty easy to work (driving a stick is truly like riding a bike, no matter if it's a tractor or a car!). For those of you who know me - Mom and Dad you won't be surprised at all - I had to try all 4 gears, and was slightly disappointed that it didn't go too fast (I do realize it is a tractor and not a vehicle). Shawn then informed me that I was in low gear and that high gear would go faster. So, I will have to try that tomorrow! Our neighbor stopped over with her son while I was driving it, and her comment was "I don't think that will go fast enough for her!" So my lead foot reputation has not died I guess (you are the one who taught me how to drive Mom!).

Not much else is new. The weather has been cool (for NE that is - only high 80's/low 90's), although very humid. We have spent most of our time either inside or in the pool. We look forward to seeing some of you this coming weekend! Take care!