Sunday, November 15, 2009

NE Deer Season

Well this weekend marked the opening of deer season here in Nebraska. Shawn went out to the property early Saturday morning and had some good luck. He got a doe shortly after shooting began. He also saw tons of bucks (he doesn't have a buck tag) and, according to him, saw the most amazing thing while hunting - a huge ten pointer (the biggest deer he has ever seend) chasing repeatedly after 3 or 4 other bucks (2 - 8 pointers, and a fork or two - I think) not very far from him.

Of course when he got home we showed the girls the deer, which they thought was neat. Taylor wanted to stay out in the pole building with Shawn while he gutted the deer (he doesn't have his truck at the moment - long story - so he didn't want to put a gutted deer carcass in my trunk - thankfully). Anyways, I couldn't convince Taylor to come in the house with me, so with specific instructions to listen to everything daddy told her, Hailey and I went inside. It wasn't very long after when Taylor came flying into the house, not even pausing to take her shoes off, so that she could run upstairs to where Hailey and I were to tattle on her father.

This part is a little gross I think, but I can't imagine much about gutting a deer isn't. Anyways, I guess when Shawn cut into the deer a little bit of blood splattered and got Taylor's coat dirty. She yelled at her father, whose response was, "Oh no, your mom is going to be mad at me." So she ran upstairs to show me what her daddy had done and to tell me that I needed to be mad at him.

Apparently that wasn't enough to stop her desire to be with her daddy, so she went back out by him. It wasn't five minutes later and she was back in the house again - this time a little more subdued. I asked her why she was inside and she looked really disgusted and said that it was really stinky out there. I guess the stomach contents were enough to cure her of her desire to be by her daddy!

I think she definitely made it farther than I would have! Other than the stink, she didn't seem to mind the experience, which surprised me. Maybe Shawn will have a little deer hunting partner after all.