I am not sure how this has all come about (actually I know exactly how (: ) but I am now an active participant in all hunting seasons! This weekend marked the opening weekend for rifle hunting here in MT. And although I managed to avoid going out opening day, my need to make those (Shawn) around me happy had me getting up at 5:00 this morning (a Sunday!!!) to head out hunting.
Although I joke, once I am up and moving it is not sooooo awful! I met with a little more success this year than my very brief attempt last year, and I managed to shoot my first deer ever! I shot a fork horn mule deer from about 130 yds. We were driving around and spotted this deer, the largest amongst his little herd, on private land. We then doubled back and found him making his way to public land. We were patient for just a little bit longer and he didn't disappoint us. As soon as we knew he was in the clear on public land I took my shot and took him down. He fell exactly where I shot him - textbook perfect shot, obliterating his heart and not touching anything else! I do like to say "if you are going to do something, do it right the first time" (to which Shawn had to remind me that I did take a shot or two at a mule deer buck last year! - I don't count that however (: ).
The girls thought it was great that I shot a deer (as did Shawn who was grinning ear-to-ear). They kept telling me that I was an awesome shot and they were proud of me. I was pleased with myself that I hit it, relieved that I killed him quickly and in the best way possible, and then I cried a little bit because I have never killed anything like this (I don't really count upland birds - sorry birds). It was a feeling of success, but a little difficult too.
So although it is not a wall hanger, it is meat for the freezer (the ultimate goal). It is just the slightest bit smaller than the fork horn Shawn got last year, but it was killed more cleanly! Who's counting though right?!!!