Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Where did she learn that?

I am continually amazed at the stages of learning that children go through, and their wonderment at everything around them. It is fascinating to see how they pick up on things and catch on so quickly. Last night after dinner was one such moment.

Shawn was his usual self, playing with the girls and teasing them. He turned to Hailey and said, "You have stinky feet!" He had no sooner finished what he was saying and Hailey started to adamantly shake her head no. We started to laugh, who could resist it was sooooo cute, and he said it again - just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Sure enough, the words barely came out of his mouth and she was already shaking her head! She had the perfect timing, waiting until he was done making his accusations before she started to deny it. All three of us were laughing, and she thought that was pretty funny too. I had no idea that she knew how to say no, and at the perfect time!

As if that wasn't accomplishment enough for one day, just afterwards, as I was cleaning up the kitchen, I started to sing a song. I was looking at Hailey while I was singing and she started to clap her hands along with my singing. I stopped singing and she stopped clapping. I started to sing again and she started to clap. She knows how to wave and give people five, but I didn't know she could clap too! I think we have another character on our hands!