So we just got back from our extended weekend in the Glacier area! Can't believe that we passed up the opportunity to live over there about two years ago! What were we thinking! To be honest, I took so many pictures that I did not spend the time to go through them in the montage to make sure that they were all showing up nicely - it is almost 10 min long (sorry for that)! If you want to see them in a little better way I would check them out on facebook instead.
We had a great time, and made some awesome memories! We stayed at the W Glacier KOA in a Kamping Kabin. We had some great views just from the campground. Maggie came with us, and had a blast sleeping on the beds with us at night. She is going to have a tough transition back here at home! The "Going to the Sun" road was just opened on Wednesday and we arrived on Thursday, so we couldn't have timed that one any better. As we went up it was easy to see why it had just opened, as you could see where the road had washed out and there were still huge amounts of snow pack!
I discovered I have a real fear (maybe a little irrational) of sliding off the face of a mountain while trapped in a vehicle, so the ride up to Logan Pass was a little scary for me. Shawn kept wanting me to open the window and take pictures of the views below, but I could only do it a couple times! Needless to say I enjoyed the ride down much more, hugging the mountain side!
We got to see a grizzly bear cub, mountain goats, mule deer, and a black bear. It was all really cool. At one turnout where we stopped to snap a picture we heard that we had just missed a moose down at the river's edge. Too late for that one. I was really hoping to see some bighorn sheep too, but we didn't.
We also purchased a boat while on our trip, so we took that out on Whitefish Lake. The scenery was gorgeous, of course, the water freezing (only Taylor got all the way in), and the purchase a success. The girls had a blast tooling around the lake and had huge smiles on their faces the whole time! Hailey kept wanting Shawn to drive faster!
While we were walking around Whitefish we ran across a super hero cape, so we had to buy it for Hailey. She always talks about being a super hero when she grows up, so she was really excited. She immediately put it on and proceeded to dance around and do "super hero jumps." She insisted I take a picture of her doing these things, and her back as well, so I could get clear shots of the cape! It was really cute.
The day we drove through Glacier we also took the girls panning for gems. This was the highlight of their day (much more exciting then all of the natural wonders we viewed). It was a lot of fun watching them discover their treasures, and they were soooo appreciative after the fact that it was well worth it!
Needless to say, there is a lot more to tell about the trip, and we will definitely be going back to spend more time there. It is so neat that we are only about 3 1/2 hours away, so we can do it all that much more!